Wednesday 5 November 2014

Monday Makeover with FirstGradeFunTimes


Welcome to my brand new blog! 

This gorgeous blog design is courtesy of Designs By Kassie, and I am just in love with this design she has created. I hope you love it as much as I do. It's so great to start this new adventure of blogging with such a bright and cheery beginning. Thank-you so much Kassie.

So, when I decided that it was time to jump into the world of blogging I brainstormed for ages possible topics to write about that I am passionate about and that might be interesting for others. One thing that I love is MAKEOVERS. Home makeovers, body makeovers, garden makeovers.... any makeovers! I just love me some crazy dramatic before and after shots! Then I thought to myself perhaps I could take my love of graphic design and do a "makeover" style segment...... and here it is "Monday Makeover".  Ok, technically it's not Monday as I write this, but my blog wasn't quite ready to roll on Monday so shall we just pretend it's Monday?!

With this little idea in mind, I wrote to my good friend Alisa from FirstGradeFunTimes, and basically begged her to be my first guinea pig for a product makeover. Within 60 seconds I had a Thanksgiving package in my hands and yes, it was in dire need of a facelift (sorry Alisa). I've given her lovely little package a much needed makeover and voila.... here it is!


As you can see the cover needed some attention. To be honest, the cover was probably the easiest part of this challenge. To get this look I used:
*Fonts HelloFirstieBigSolid and HelloBigBlue
*Adorable clip art by Whimsy Clips
*A textured background pattern by Sonya DeHart
*3 layered pictures at the pack are images of pages that are contained within the package

Now the original page in Alisa's package I actually didn't mind but I did change it up a bit to make it stand out a little more. To get this look I used:
*seriously cute naked turkey clip art from Pink Cat Studio (Those turkeys really crack me up!)
*a bold frame from Kelly B
*Fonts HelloFirstieBigSolid and HelloBigBlue

For this one I took the old version and simply added some new clip art, changed the fonts and added a frame. I really didn't want to change too much of the essence of what Alisa originally created, but I think these little changes have just cleaned up her package a little more from what it was before.

I just love the concept of these word family turkeys! What a great idea Alisa has here! What I wanted to do with these was to take it from two pages and change it so that only one page could be used if teachers so desired. Oh, and also I chopped off the turkey's legs.... sorry Mr. Turkey but your legs were too flimsy for primary scissors to stay! Once I finished these up I made some myself with my daughter.


Alisa also had included some antonym and synonym interactive activities in her package. With a few small additions (new frames, clip art and HelloFonts) I gave those pages a minor facelift. The picture below is how it now looks when it is printed up and completed. This is a great hands on activity with easy to follow directions. 


Thank you so much to Alisa from FirstGradeFunTimes for being such a great sport and allowing me to re-design her Thanksgiving package. If you would like to check out her newly updated "Turkey Fun For Grade One" please click here.

Thanks again for checking out my new blog and bearing with me as I navigate my way through the art of teacher blogging. Til' next time, 



5 comments:

  1. I am honored and THRILLED to have Tweet's touch on this fun holiday resource! I love it and know everyone else will, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! Love the blog! Love Alisa's product makeover! Let me know if you want to spruce up anything of mine for another Monday Makeover! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your new blog and the whole Monday make-over concept! Please add me to your potential make-over list...I've got a Christmas favorite that could really use a little "Tweet" tweaking magic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog looks great, but it couldn't be any different. All your resources look amazing!
    The Monday Makeover idea is genius. Congratulations on starting your blogging journey!

    Cheers,
    Lucy

    P.S. Couldn't find you Bloglovin' follow button. Did I miss it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your beautiful new blog! Great idea to share your gift of design - love it!

    ReplyDelete